Followers

Tuesday, March 11, 2025

Emily Dickinson Creative Visual Response

 One day each March, my Advanced Placement Literature and Composition kids read several Emily Dickinson poems. I love her, and I was pretentious enough to have one of her poems read at our wedding (not "I Felt a Funeral in my Brain"). After the students read and discuss the poetry, I assign a creative response. I love the products!

LESSON PLAN: Dickinson Creative Response (2o min. class time--offer extensions to those who want longer)

    First, I give them printed copies of six of the poems, and a few notes about the Belle of Amherst and her remarkable style; then we read them aloud and have at it. I like to show off with a couple short ones from memory (I am also close on "Because I Could not Stop for Death," though.) But mostly, they read them, and I make them pause at every Dickinsonian dash. We discuss the pauses, the seemingly random capitalization, the content, and central ideas. We compare this particular poem to that prior poem. Then I give an EASY assignment that works well: the last few years I have made them draw a creative response to one of the poems. They are to capture the concept and "the vibe" and hopefully convey the emotional impact of the poem.

    The first year I gave them a pice of typing paper and about twenty minutes to draw something--they could also include a few phrases from their chosen poem. A few wanted to take it home to finish it. "Whatever," I said, but I was very open about it being only 10 points. Some of them came back to the next class session with something much more interesting than I had expected. 

    Those, like me, who admit they can't draw, usually still have a great concept: a single fly buzzing across the page over a coffin or stick figure children dancing in a ring while death's carriage drives by. On this post, I have included some lovely products--likely the ones that took the most effort. (I got permission.) No surprise, they got 12/12 (I bumped up the value by 2 points). Most of the others got an "A," too--even though I did take off a few points for those done on lined notebook paper or on the back of another class's worksheet.  It's not "busy work, but still admittedly just "extra"; it's not going to help on the AP exam, and it's sure awkward to grade someone artistic response to a Dickinson poem. If the 12 point carrot gets them to engage with one specific lyrical 19th century poem on a more complex level, it's a win.

    This year, I offered two other choices: they could memorize one of her poems that was 4 stanzas or more OR write a poem inspired by Dickinson's style using the slanted a/b/c/b rhyme scheme, the unusual capitalization, the reflective and intimate tone, etc. Alyse did a smooth recitation of "Because I Could Not Stop for Death," and Sam wrote a moving five stanza poem. Almost everyone else drew, but Natasha did a water color. 

    I'm actually not much of a "projects" teacher, and sometimes I feel bad because giving some of these products the max of only 12 points seems ridiculous. But I do feel good that someone got close enough to a piece of literature to create a painting.

The poems in the packet (easily downloaded from the internet) are "Because I Could Not Stop for Death," "Hope is the Thing with Feathers," "I Heard a Fly Buzz When I Died," "I Felt a Funeral in my Brain," "Much Madness Is Divinest Sense," and "The Heart Asks Pleasure First." 

Eventually, I will include my amazing notes on Dickinson.

Artwork by Rachel, Audrey, Clare, Dani, Brooke, and Natasha (a feminist collection, I guess!)

*"Of All the Souls that Stand Elect" was the poem read at our wedding. :) 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't talk out loud in the library. I'll judge.

  In my defense, he has done this twice in the last week.  Last time he walked up and down the aisles between the shelves talking on his cel...